Monday, July 26, 2010

Remembering home :)

Sunday in Santo Domingo... like I previously mentioned, nothing is opened or everybody is staying inside, spending time with their families. Yesterday was Father's Day in Dominican Republic, so again no one was out.

Fortunately, some persons were free and we did something which reminded me of home: we went to a local supermarket. It reminded me of home, because usually, during week-ends in Romania, I go shopping with my parents. It's like a tradition... I don't know exactly why we are doing that, maybe because my mom gets bored in the house or because we need to buy food for the entire week, but it's a tradition for me. And yesterday I did the same thing here.

We went to buy food for 3 days. We did it in a very cool way: we calculated for each meal what we want to cook/eat and we were careful with the money. We did not spend too much or we didn't buy things we didn't really need. I bought nectarines and when I ate them I felt like home :) I always tried to explain to everybody back home that life here is much more expensive, because of the inflation maybe. So, for example, yesterday we spent almost 200 RON for the food for 2-3 days. That's just because we were very very careful. Otherwise, in McDonalds for example, you pay for a full menu 20 RON. Which for me it's very expensive in comparison with Romania.

But today it was a totally different story. There are so many things that remind me of home. And so many things that I do just because something from home remindes me that I should do. Every stupid thing sticks to your mind when you are all alone and you need to take care of yourself. For example, I always check my nails or my ears, just because my mom was obsessed that I do that every day before I left home to work or any meeting. And from the other point of view, things that remind me of home: the "stuffed" animals :) Back home I have a small lion and a bear from Ferrari called Pini :) and a donkey called Iha :) And sometimes when I'm talking with my parents on Skype they show them. Today my parents asked me to smile and to really kiss them :) and then they showed the animals to me. It was for the first time then I cried. But I managed to finish the conversation before they realized that I was crying...

Today was the first official day when I realized I miss home, my parents, how I used to make jokes with them, the confort, the food, the fact that I didn't need to take care of every little thing concerning me...

2 comments:

  1. asta e frumusetea lucrurilor, sa iti fie dor de oamenii dragi:) iar in curand "acasa" o sa fie exact Republica Dominicana si o sa ti se faca dor cand ai sa pleci:) te pup cu mare drag si sunt sigura ca traiesti una din experientele extraordinare pe care putini oameni le au in viata. Raluca

    ReplyDelete
  2. "the confort, the food, the fact that I didn't need to take care of every little thing concerning me"
    These are the "benefits" of beeing a grown-up :)
    I want my mooooommmmyyyy :P

    Hope your fine and feeling good there.

    ReplyDelete