Saturday, January 21, 2012

You think you know, but you have no idea

One of my favourite teachers told me long long time ago that in the end you will be alone with your god. This is not a religious post and I’m definitely a person that wants to tell people what their religion should be, but I would like to look at this from another perspective: don’t judge others, don’t criticize and especially, don’t generalize. One of the most beautiful characteristics of people is uniqueness. Value it! Don’t assume that you know someone because every now and then that person follows a pattern, nor because you have the impression that (s)he is repeating a behaviour.

I know some of my best friends for almost 5 years (thank you my girls for a beautiful friendship), and I will not say I know them, but only a part of them. I’ve know my best friend for 21 years now, and I still cannot say I know him. I think I know a lot about him, but I don’t know him. I strongly believe that you need to know a little bit of all the “departments” of someone, in order to be (even) able to say to know partly that person. And still, lately, I’m hearing so many persons assuming they know... well... people :)

Besides valuing this uniqueness of people, I think we should award it also. When was the last time you did an act of goodwill for someone else, without a personal benefit? I was reading a few days ago a blog which invited us to “pay it forward 2012” – what about accepting this challenge?

I strongly believe this year, 2012, it would be the year when I will accept the most challenges and deliver ALL of them. I want to do acts of goodwill without personal benefits, I want to award more, I want to listen more (and discover more), I want to learn more, I want to challenge myself as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment